Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Pigeon's Roped Fear

It's a brand new year and I feel so excited about LIVING it!

Remember my pigeons? Today, I saw them again - the sun is melting a hole through the glass sky and dripping blue brightness all over the cold earth. People are smiling and buzzing around. It's the third day of brightness - second day of newness. I love this beginning.

My pigeons were sitting on the Suzuki scaffolding playing with the hanging rope of the plastic owl. That's right, playing with their scarecrow. Scoffing at their fear. Taunting their enemy: the false enemy. And I reveled in their triumph.

Isn't this how so much of life is? Bitter store managers hang plastic owls from the scaffolds of our dreams to frighten us from hope. Sometimes the owls have feathers. Sometimes their glass eyes roll around in their heads. Sometimes they even make owl-noises. They often look far more real, valid, logical than we might anticipate. But in the end, plastic is plastic. Non-recyclable, non-edible, non-aggressive, NON-WORTHY of our fear. May it be so in the lives of my family - my friends - my community - myself. Lord, may we scoff at our fears and laugh with twinkling eyes in the faces of our enemies. You are our victory, Jesus - what is there to fear?

No comments:

Post a Comment