Sunday, July 5, 2009

Church and Rain


(<-- Those are two Greek women in the rain . . . )
Walked to church this morning in the blazing sunshine . . . in Athens, we walk everywhere in the middle of the road. Sidewalks are impassable . . . because, among other obstacles, cars park ON them.

Orange trees erupt out of the cement sidewalk at random intervals, providing brief aesthetic respite from graffitied apartment buildings rocketing up to compete with rare clouds against the ceiling of blue.

As for Evangelical Greek churches in Athens, there are three. And they're easy to remember - because they're called 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Despite the population of over 3 million, I've heard statistically that less than .2% of the people believe that Jesus is Lord and follow Him as such. Whoever believes statistics, and how is something like that measureable anyway . . . regardless, it makes sense culturally and historically that so many people know and follow my Lord. Greek Orthodoxy is older than the cement jungle of Omonia (the downtown area). The comparison would sound a lot more stark if you saw how old Omonia really is . . . Orthodoxy goes back thousands of years. If I remember right, I think it's the Ottoman (or Byzantine) Empire . . . when the Turks broke loose over the whole Mediterranean. So to Greeks, to be Christian is to be Orthodox is to own your own heritage is to be Greek. Sadly, somewhere in the mix of culture and heritage, the beauty and powerful redemption of Jesus got lost . . . wow.

So ironically, the 3 Evangelical Greek churches in Athens were started by Turkish believers who crossed the border because they had more religious freedom in Greece. They founded three churches which are primarily now occupied by one large, extended family each . . . so 1st doesn't really hang out with 2nd, nor does 2nd hang out with 3rd. (I don't know if that means that inter-marriage abounds or what . . . but apparently, if your family goes to 1st, you DO NOT go to 2nd.) So the believers are pretty small . . . and pretty exclusive.

However, at 2nd Church, where I attended this morning, the message came with power (which I've heard is consistently true). He spoke on Romans 12 - sharing the importance of sharing God's Word with unbelievers so that they can know and follow Him as well. If you're not familiar with the passage, you should read it - it's super powerful (and convicting). I guess from what I hear, the Pastor really lives out the message he speaks, too . . . he's super involved with the community, serving with Nea Zoi sometimes and also with homeless youth, etc. in the area. Awesome. Wow, and he KNEW the Word . . . I was so deeply encouraged about the power and transforming love of Jesus today.

Anyway, I found the whole experience quite interesting - I always find churches in other cultures interesting. I got a pair of head-phones, through which the message was translated. Worship was hymns . . . all familiar from my time at UPC. But, I tried to practice my Greek and sing them IN Greek. It's funny learning a new alphabet . . . I'm sounding out the first three letters of the first word on the first line by the time the congregration has gotten through the first two verses and the refrain. Not really . . . but almost.

The adventure continues . . . when I got home this evening (after other afternoon activities), I practiced my Greek more while listening to Ne-Yo and dancing in my room with the French doors to the balcony open and the breeze blowing in. Probably it would have been more beneficial to my GREEK if I hadn't been listening to Ne-Yo, but I just love him so . . . AND I found out today that he's coming to the Puyallup Fair (best day of my life FOR SURE).

There's a storm rolling in now . . . 3rd day in a row of thunder-storms, which is only testimony of how deeply Jesus loves me, because apparently it storms about TWICE every summer in Greece - and I've gotten to experience it. The rain pours out of the sky in BUCKETS literally - and lightning embraces the tight streets and thunder belches his frustration across the sky. The breeze sends the smell of heat and wetness through my doors . . .

Yesterday, my flat-mate and I got caught in the rain when we were out on the street . . . we stood under an awning with crowds of Greeks that all come out of their houses and restaurants and shops just to watch and laugh . . . and the most determined of the street vendors run along the lines of people trying adamently to sell umbrellas (while they themselves get soaked).

This is so beautiful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment