Tuesday, July 7, 2009

More on Greek Evangelical "Heretics" :)

It's been a busy couple of days . . . I can't fit it all in. I was thinking this morning how funny the pictures that I posted on Facebook are in some ways . . . because in truth, I've taken so many pics, but they're all of ancient ruins and spectacular buildings. Most of my time, though, is in less glorious places . . .

Walking home from outreach at 2am the other night, we side-stepped cockroaches and druggies, who shared needles while sitting on doorjams in the public square. In this area of the city, I guess, the police don't do anything about it - it's in plain view, but the police just want them to die anyway so they'll be out of the way. I've heard from locals that it was only in the months preceding the Olympics - and in parts of the city that tourists frequent - where police pay attention to justice.

This city of the gods is empty without Christ.

A few posts back, I mentioned that Athens contains half the population of Greece (but I think I said 3 million and 6 million, respectively). Apparently, I was way off -- Athens is about 6 million, and the whole of Greece is nearing 12 million. That makes a lot more sense . . .

This place is hurting for good churches. For real community. For the broken bread of Christ to break through . . . you know, I guess 1st Evangelical Church (remember, there are only 3 in a city of 6 million - and their attendance is small at that) has just had a phenomenal idea. ** Side- note: Evangelical Christians are literally considered heretics here. Wow! So, we're like the crazies that no one listens to in Greece. :) **

Anyway, the Pastor at 1st church got this crazy idea that he wanted to get the gospel out into the community - and start proclaiming freedom to the post-modern population that doesn't want to have anything to do with religion. He had the idea of some kind of community based home-churches . . . where, instead of having to meet in a designated place of religion, people can meet and share the gospel in homes over dinner. (Greece is all about eating . . .) And I'm thinking, "Pheonomenal idea - sounds like the new movement in the States!" And it's giving the church hope and purpose . . .

They're just starting to brainstorm about this!! Hallelujah!

(As another side-note for those of you more intimately aquainted with my life throughout this past year, remember how bizarre I thought it was when I really felt like the Lord was leading me to University Presbyterian Church? Remember how I felt like another church fit me so much better - and I really didn't want to go to this one, and then He confirmed it so clearly? Remember how I've talked about it being good - but very uncomfortable and different for me in so many ways?

I just wanted to remind myself of God's faithfulness in the small things -- because He knows me so intimately and really does care about the details. These three Evangelical Churches are Presbyterian - started by Presbyterian missionaries. And when I was there on Sunday, I was familiar with much of the liturgy, prayers, and hymns - and felt somewhat at home . . . whereas many of the missionaries here come from more charismatic backgrounds, and have insinuated that there are times when it's really been a struggle for them to feel at home in the church. Not because of poor teaching - but because of different ideas about worship primarily. Interesting the way that Jesus has been teaching me to worship Him in Spirit and in truth in a setting much different than I am used to in the States.)

No comments:

Post a Comment